Tuesday, October 25, 2011

‘Buying’ Graveyard Dirt

I am here
With some thin silver
Mercury dimes
And a flask of whiskey

To procur the services
Of an ancient spirit
Or two.

After passing through the cemetary gates

I skip to the left
Touching smooth stones with my fingers
Letting those that have crossed
Speak to me
Reading epitaphs in the blue moonlight.

Those that seem to have potential
I pause and sit
Dropping small flowers
As an offering.

They can hear the coins jingle
And they can smell the liquor
As I am
Spirit-led
Through the plot of the dead.

Tonight
I plan to dig the dirt
From the head of a thinker
The heart of a lover
And the feet of someone strong and obedient.

Ambitious
I know.

But
Tonight
Is warmer than others.

The moon is high
Casting short black shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment