Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Eighteen Cents A Pack



My girl and I were 3/4’s of the way
Through sharing a cigarette
When the old man
On the stool to the right of me
Said

“You can’t smoke in here.”

“Really?”
I questioned.

“We thought because there was a pail sitting here on the bar in front of us filled with sand    
  and cigarette butts that it was ok to smoke.”

“Add the fact that this is a seedy dive beach bar.”

“Nap.”

“You can smoke around the outside of the bar, but not in here.”

“Doesn’t make much of a difference though, as the smoke comes in here anyway.”

“Sorry.”
I said
Adding the cigarette butt
To the overflow in the pail.

“It’s alright.”

“I smoked since I was fourteen.”

“You don’t smoke now?”
I asked him.

“Nap.”

He was an old barfly
With intelligent nostalgic eyes
And a sweet face.

“Haven’t smoked in a year and a half.”

I wanted to say 
“Good for you!”
But he continued talking

“I wasn’t a heavy smoker, but I always smoked when I drank...”

He gestured to the 
Pale yellow beer
Sitting in the pint glass
In front of him.

He continued...

“I remember when cigarettes were eighteen cents a pack...my brother would drive down to
  Maryland to buy them cuz they were so much cheaper...until gas prices became too ex-
  pensive and it wasn’t worth it anymore...he would make a little money doing that...”

“Eighteen cents a pack!  Now they’re nine dollars!!!  Goddamn taxes!  They tax the little guy
  for everything.”

He shook his head.

He really wanted to keep talking
And he did.

I like bars without TV’s.

He worked his gums until we left
His eyes sparkling.

“It was nice meeting you both.”
He told us.

I shook his hand.

On our way out to the boardwalk
I stopped the bartender
And asked her how much a beer was.

“Depends on what you’re drinking?”
She replied.

“What that old guy over there is drinking.”
I pointed.

“$2.50.”

“I want to buy him a beer.”
I told her.

She reached for a glass.

“But I don’t want you to bring it to him until he’s finished with the one he’s working on.”

She put the glass down.

“That’s really sweet.”
She said.

I handed her some cash.

“I’ll tell him.”
She offered.

“No.  Don’t.  Just give it to him when he’s finished.  If you want, you can tell him then.”

I left there feeling good.

Sometimes 
It’s the smallest of charities
That makes one feel warm and fine
Rinsing the sins out.

My girl and I arrived out into the salty air
The sound of amusement rides
The glittering dischord of lights
Laughter
Screams.

The warmth of her hand in mine.

I watched her with a grin
As she lit a cigarette
Took a drag 
And passed it to me
With a smile and a wink.

“That was a really nice thing you did back there.”
She told me.

I handed the cigarette back to her
Exhaling.

I was feeling mighty fine then
And kissed her cigarette mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment