Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Doe



It was fall
And the setting sun
Was flared
Blindingly
On the two-lane
In front of me

The doe jumped out
In front of the car
Before me

She hit it 
Dead on

The doe blew to the left side
Of the road

I saw it

She didn’t

I got out

She got out

I could tell the doe 
Wasn’t long to this world

It was suffering

If we waited for the cops
They would’ve just shot it anyway

I listened to this bitch
On her cell phone
Calling cops
Insurance
Husband
While I stood over
This poor animal shaking

I had sandals
On

Which I couldn’t do much with

I looked around
And found the 
Biggest rock 
That I could find

Said a prayer

And brought it down
On the animals head
Twice
To put it out of it’s pain

All the while

I had to listen 
To her conversation
About the damage
Done to her vehicle
Never once
Coming over
To witness a bloody funeral.


No comments:

Post a Comment