Monday, June 22, 2015

Medicine Cabinet



After exploring the meds
In my parent’s 
Medicine cabinet
While recently visiting

To see exactly what they were on

And pilfering
A hand-full
Of the good stuff

Shutting the twin doors

Looking into
The sterilized mirrors

Staring

Realizing
That someday
Not too far off

The commute towards death
Is closer 
Than I think

That I will 
Be much like my parents

I can see the 
Same shared physical features
There in the glossy glass

They are smaller
Than I last remember them
And move slower
Outside the bathroom door

I know
They visit the doctor
On a regular basis

I recall the denture cream
The Preparation H
The pain-aids

The brown and white
Plastic pharmacy bottles
With laser printed labels
On clean shelves
Behind Home Depot mirrored glass

On my way out

Wiping my hands
On peviously un-used
Pretty guest towels
With a seashore theme
And kiss them goodniight

The lawn sprinklers came on
As I was walking out the door

Being careful to protect my pockets
And their acquired bounty
So they wouldn’t get wet
Until I reached my car
Got into the stale smell
Shut the door
And waved
Good-bye

No comments:

Post a Comment