Tuesday, January 3, 2012

There’s A Hummingbird In My Heart (Charles Bukowski Remixed)

There is a hummingbird in my heart.

I can feel him
Strumming
The vessel’s walls
Wings beating
With imperceptible velocity
Within the muscled cage
Of my chest.

Just below-left of the aorta.

He is in there
Picking
Feeding
Upon the salty-sweet nectar
Of oxygen and blood.

The hummingbird
Never stops moving his wings
Even when he is sleeping.

Sometimes
He keeps me up at night.
I listen to him
Amongst the junkyard noise
Of sirens, trains, factories
And heavy machinery.

Tiny feathers whipping
Back and forth
Between
The atriums and ventricles
As the valves open and close.

The other night a woman
Disclosed to me
As my hands
Were still around her throat

That a moment before
As I felt like I was about to die
The blood and wine
Boiling up to my head
As I kept her pinned down to the bed

While that damn bird
Raced around inside of me
Banging into the heart-chamber
Bulkhead...

She told me
She heard the most beautiful music
Escaping from my teeth
Coming from deep within.

Someday
That bird will be my end.

One night
That bird will hover
Above me
And sing me to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment