Tuesday, June 26, 2012

“Shhhhhh...You’ll Wake The Baby!”



I re-acquired a sweet
Long forgotten moment
From the past
While moving a twelve foot step ladder
Echoing across an empty concrete floor
In the main space of a vacant 9,000 square foot warehouse
Built in 1940
As a taxi depot...

Later 
To become the dispatch
For a Trenton brand
White bread baking company.

I dragged that step ladder
Across the floor
Making a terrific noise 
In the building’s emptiness
On March 8th, 2012

While painfully scraping 
20+ foot high brick walls 
Of their failing paint 
Off of moist damp brick clay 
With a flat head shovel
To be repainted
For a prospective new tenant.

Out of nowhere
The memory came...

35 years later
From when I helped my father and grandfather

Both
Union carpenters by trade

Working on the side
On their days off.

Building additions
Putting on roofs
Laying foundations
Hammering sheetrock.

I would hand up the nails
Tools
Or climb the ladder 
With an electrical cord... 

And if I made any loud sound at all
Besides a hammer

The two of them would hush
In unison

“Shhhhhhh....You’ll wake the baby!”

And with a simple drag
Of an aluminum step ladder

I just woke the baby up...




No comments:

Post a Comment