Thursday, May 23, 2013

Soapbox (Pulled From The Trash In Front Of A Starbucks)



I’m not one to panhandle
My foggy ideas
Or preach to anybody
As if I had anything of any merit
Or importance to say.

I won’t be holding up handmade signs
Scrawled in water-based soy ink
On re-purposed cardboard
At any of the street corners
Or in front of any government buildings
Cause I just can’t spare the time
Or the dime.

It’s been awhile
Since I’ve been at a peaceful demonstration
And I only went to smoke
Other people’s weed
And meet hot chicks.

So sometimes
I get trapped in my own head
And wander the streets at night
While normal people 
Watch multiple TV’s 
In every house that I pass.

They flip between ‘Tan Mom’
And a 1/2 hour profile of someone
That’s addicted to eating kitchen cleanser.

What happened to
Mozart or Bartok
Or reading a book?

Dishwashers were invented
To give us more time to do other things.

Family Time 
Is now sponsored
And measured in Nielsen ratings.

Daylight Savings
Once meant 
That kids stayed outside later
Playing tag and manhunt.

Whatever happened to intimacy?

Moving shadows in the windows
Sounds escaping
Intended for no one to hear.

Philosophers, musicians
Artists
And great spiritual men
Were once immortalized
In chiseled stone
Often by teams of slave labor
Spending their entire lives
Rendering
One likeness.

Today
They would appear in a commercial
Selling a luxury car
Daft Punk pumping as the soundtrack
Or have their publicist
Carefully decide which competing
Late night talk show
They should appear on initially.

They would be one of the first eliminated
From a 6th season major network talent show
Because they actually had talent.

Their rise and fall
Carefully edited and mockumented
On their own reality series...

Van Gogh cutting off an ear
In High Definition...

No comments:

Post a Comment