Wednesday, May 8, 2013

To Dead Joe Bolton



In honor of poetry month
Someone
Had the brilliant inspiration
To ‘publish’
One of your poems
Upon the glass
Of the window
Of a small bookstore.

Until then
I had never even heard of you.

It was on my way to the theater
To watch my daughter audition
That I broke stride
Stopping completely
To read
“Lines For Hank Williams”
Scrawled across paned glass
In black marker
Radiant in orange reflection
Of warm late afternoon sun.

The aroma 
Of stacked literature
Wafted out of the open front door.

I stood there
And read your words
Several times over
Inspired.

I didn’t know that you were dead then.

I stepped inside
Inquiring which book
I could find that poem in.

The clerk went on and on about you
With pleasure
While he searched for your only book.

I bought the last copy.

Some would call this fate.

I, on the other hand
Would like to call to attention
That it was you
That almost 
Made me late
To my daughter’s audition
That day.

No comments:

Post a Comment