Thursday, October 16, 2014

Autumn 1979



“Hold on”
I said
Focusing.

“Stay still”.

I had my younger brother 
Tied up against a makeshift target
Made from
Stolen plywood
And 2x4’s.

And leftover paint
Appropriated from somewhere...

I smoked way too much pot then
To remember where
I found the red paint.

I threw the first knife.

“JESUS!”
My brother yelled.

“You just missed me!”

“That’s what we want!  There’s at least an inch there!”
I retorted.

“Stop being such a pussy!”

I threw the next knife
And the next.

“Thwip! Thwip!”

I somehow missed him.

When it was 4:30
We would stop practicing
And go inside
To watch Godzilla movies
Or film noir
On WABC-TV
Channel 7
Out of New York.

It wasn’t until 
The next spring
That I really got him.

With a baseball bat.

It wasn’t planned.

It was done without thinking.

I had him standing 
Behind me 
Playing catcher
While I hit outfield shots
Up the hill of our backyard.

I caught him 
On the backswing
Right to the forehead
And the blood
Immediately
Began 
To flow...





No comments:

Post a Comment