Friday, October 10, 2014


New Town





I moved to a house
On a dead end street
At the top of a hill
Looming over 
The dark steel mill
That operates 24 hours a day
In 3 shifts
Seven days a week

The ringing and clanging of metal
The banging of machinery
Echoes loudly
Like the bells of the 
Three churches
In this new town
On Sunday mornings.

There is always a wind on my street.

The woods around me
Are filled with deer
Fox, bear and coyote

In fact
True
The deer are so brazen
They often wander the streets
Like pedestrians
Reading the WSJ
At dusk.

I moved to a new town
That is webbed with
Crooked, narrow roads
Cracking the backs
Of steep inclines
And higher ground.

This new town 
Has a Main Street
That is littered 
With empty vodka bottles
Crushed cigarette butts
And shattered dreams.

A dusty tailor
An ancient upholsterer
A thrift store consignment shop
A grimy launderette

Settle in amongst 
The vacant storefronts
Derelict apartments
Nameless blue-collar businesses
Behind sun-faded
Painted concrete blocks and brick
The sidewalk in pieces.

I moved to a new town
Where the most meticulously kept property
Is the funeral home.

It gives me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment