Sunday, September 25, 2011

Danaus Plexippus (Monarch Butterfly)

The butterfly
Flew in through the sunroof
While I was stopped
At a traffic light.

At first
I thought that it was a leaf
But I saw it’s orange wings
Flutter around inside
For a moment
Before settling
Onto my shoulder.

I could feel it’s movement
As it nestled down
And I didn’t want to disturb it.

I felt lucky
Reminded of the lady bug
Or the praying mantis.

When the light turned green
It whispered
Into my ear

“Drive, just drive.”

“I’m driving.”
I said
Thinking of all of the
Back seat drivers
That I’ve had in my past.

I almost got defensive and angry
Out of habit.

“No. I mean go. Just drive to wherever until you run out of gas.”
“Life’s short.”

“I’m on my way to work”
I told him.

“I don’t know what you’re on about, but I just can’t drive to wherever.”
“I’ve got two kids and a mortgage that I’m trying to keep up with.”
“I can’t just drive. Believe me, I wish I could. I’ve thought about it, but have you seen the
traffic? The price of gas?”

“Besides, don’t give me the ‘Life Is Short’ speech. My kids are 11 and 15...
And believe me, I have no idea where the time went.”

I swigged at my coffee
And cursed the bastards in front of me.

“11 and 15? I don’t understand. Our lifespan is 4 to 6 weeks...8 weeks tops if you work
out and eat a healthy diet and the climate is condusive. 15 weeks! How the hell is that
possible?”

The butterfly caught me off guard.

I took another swig
Of my coffee
Watching the assholes
Around me.

“Dude”
I said...

“I hate to break it to you, but that’s your lifespan. I’m in it for the long haul. If I work out and
eat a healthy diet, I could live to be 80, 90 years old, until I can hardly walk and I’ll have to
wear diapers. My kids will probably throw me in assisted living if it can be afforded. My
death will not be as quick as yours my friend. I have to work just to survive. I’ll
probably be working the rest of my life until I’m in 'said' diapers!”

“You on the other hand, will have just a few fleeting moments here upon this earth. Just
like that...”
I said
Snapping my fingers
For emphasis.

I don’t think
That the monarch
Liked what I had to say
For I could feel
Him take off from my shoulder
And I watched him
As he flew out
The same way he came.

I laid on the horn
As some asswipe
Tried to cut in front of me
And hit the speed-dial to work
To inform them
I was going to be a few minutes late.

No comments:

Post a Comment