Thursday, December 15, 2011

The F Train

He reminded me of myself
Ages ago.

I couldn’t help
But think that he was a contour of me
Riding the subway
Late at night alone
Skateboard in hand
Everything needed for daily survival
In a dirty backpack.

I watched as he talked to an older black man
Uninhibited
Streetwise education
And they got along fine.

He had a pierced nose
And stretchers in his ears

But I probably would have those too
If I was his age right now.

We took each other in
From across the subway car.

Me
In my funky clothes and jewelry
An older man
Still carrying on his life
From long ago.

Shit!
I have stories that would make his eyeballs roll back
His skin crawl
And his toes curl.

He continued to engage
The old black man
Confident
Creating his own story
Just as I had done
A long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment