Thursday, July 26, 2012

My Lazy Eye



My left eye 
Is sleepy
Lazy
From an incident
With a beer bottle.

Broken green glass
Sliced incision like
Through the white flesh
Of the paper lid
Which required
A trip to the
Emergency Room
Of the city hospital
In the passenger seat
Of my cousin’s car.

A kitchen towel
Filled with ice cubes
Held up
To the soft poached
Accident.

The country fabric weave
Of ducks marching
On a bold blue stripe
Quickly soaked to red
With blood
From my loosened eye.

I got stitches.

They told me
That I came this close...

They held two fingers pinched together...

To loosing my eye altogether.

They didn’t have therapy 
Or recovery
For eyelids back then.

Ever since
My left eye
Moves a little slower.

Hangs 
A little lower.

If you look closely
You can still see 
The scar.

I’ve been told
That I have
“Bedroom Eyes”.

Pfffffft!

I take that with a grain of salt.

Am I wrong
In thinking
That 
Beer bottles
Are the leading cause
Of people
Ending up in the bedroom
In the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment