Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Bum



I was within the red velvet ropes
Waiting to get into a club
Down in Chelsea.

I saw him a half a block away.

Homeless and hobbling
With all of his gear.

“He’s coming for me.”
I told my friends.

“Watch.”

“I’m telling you that he’s coming for me.”

I watched

My friends watched 

As he strode directly up to me
With purpose
Approaching nobody else.

“Son...Where have you been?  I’ve been looking all over for you.  I’m hungry.  Please
  buy me something to eat.”

I’ve had weirder things happen.

But I called this one
And I felt triumphant
Like I should be allowed
To go to the front of the line.

That didn’t happen.

I gave him five bucks
And told him I wasn’t his son
“That he wasn’t fooling anybody.  Go get something to eat.”

I waited in line
With everybody else.

My importance only noticed by a homeless man
And not the bouncer
At the front of the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment