Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Wing Dam



It’s the nicest day
Of the year
So far
And I have a nice
Buzz on
As I walk out
Upon the concrete
Abutment
Angled 
In crooked fashion
To the center of the rushing river.

The water is higher and faster
Since the thunderstorms
Made the valley
Their home
The last few days.

I walk past
A whole striper
Gurnied out
On the pebbled pavement
Cooking in the sun.

Only his eyes are missing.

Excerbated neatly.

The skin is dry.

His demise 
Was recent.

The sockets of his pupils
Still pink
And the body’s flesh
Firm
Neither bloated
Nor sunken.

There were no flies yet.

I lied down 
At the very end
Of the stone...

At the spine of the river.

I felt the same warm sun
As he once did
Baking my still intact eyes
Wondering
What the last thoughts
Of a wayward striper
Would be.

Knowing that he had 
Fucked up big time
Landing on the wing dam
Gasping his last breath.

The birds swooping down
Quickly
In those final moments
Being the last thing
He saw.

He really fucked up this time.

I fell into a solar-drenched stupor
The water at a summer high mark
Rushing around me
It’s fierce noise
Calming
The animal
Inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment