Thursday, January 29, 2015

Bar Brawl



Indeed.

I still have the scar
Where you dug
The broken Natty Boh bottle
Into my abdomen.

The skin folds in upon itself
Sometimes
Blooming 
Into a painful red-centered flower
Jagged
With whiter 
Winter petals
Radiating 
When I try to lift weights
Or exercise
Or take out the garbage.

The heat inside
Burning 
From the furnace
Of the devil
As I double over.

Getting it stapled shut
That night in a city hospital
Didn’t help.

I’m convinced to this day
That it only made matters
Worse.

I had plenty of time to think about the incident
As I waited on a gurney
In the Emergency Room.

The outburst 
Was almost immediate.

I didn’t like you
And you didn’t like me.

I hit you first
With good reason
And I hit you hard.

But you still had your beer in hand
And you broke the bottle
“The Land Of Pleasant Living”
Spilling everywhere.

And then my blood.

Today
I can fold and unfold the scar
Like a parcel
Recently delivered
Being careful
Not to tear the paper
Or cut my fingers
Reaching them slowly inside
And massaging
The warm muscle
That a city hospital
Failed to repair
One Baltimore night
Long ago.

I should have let you
Hit me first.

No comments:

Post a Comment