Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Banana Seat



We all had Schwinn’s
Back then.

It was the choice bike
And if you didn’t have one
You just weren’t in.

Some were cooler than others.

Some had wide flat back tires.
Some had shifters
Or steering wheel handle bars.

There was an array of 1970’s colors.

But your own 
Was the coolest
And we’d still talk shit about it.

Mine was metallic green.

I had a silver flecked
Sparkling vinyl banana seat
With chrome sissy bars.

I attached playing cards to the spokes
With clothespins
And sounded
Almost
Like Evil Knevil
As I pedaled
At high speed
Towards a homemade repurposed plywood ramp...

Younger prospects
To our group
Involuntarily lay below
In a line
Shaking nervously
Pissing their jeans.

Morgue rule.

Just past the ramp
As I flew over them
Not knowing what would happen
If I didn’t make it.

My bike was metallic green
With a sparkling silver vinyl banana seat.

It had to be pedaled.

In my mind
I made it over 
The Grand Canyon
To fanfare
With each jump
I made.

Engines roaring
From playing cards
Held to metal spokes
With wooden clothespins.

Black ribbons of fresh tire rubber
Peeling for ten feet 
Or more
Across suburban tarmac
Hot from the sun.



No comments:

Post a Comment