Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sirens

It was a humid evening
In Lambchopville
And I was walking the cracked concrete
Of my neighborhood
In silence
Head
Slightly tilted.

You know...
Lazy like.

I was tired and sweating.

My mind was on unsettled things.

They approached
To the left
Way ahead
Of me passing them.

Walking smoothly
As if they were electronic devices
Next to one another
Parading in unison
Eyes flashing
Red
Like LED’s.

They were dressed for an affair
With billowy summer dresses
And salon hair.

Expensive I might add.

They approached
Closer
And I greeted them.

“Hi! How are you ladies doing?”

The pair of them
Turned to look at me
At the same time
And immediately
Started chirping
Some nonsense jibberish.

“Lllluuuuu...Rrrreeep....Quallllloooowww”

Like night sparrows they sang
Crooning
As they turned the corner
In tandem
And kept walking
And singing
Down the
Crooked sidewalks
Perforated with crabgrass
That is common in my town.

Hypnotized
I watched them
As their billowy summer dresses
Failed into the
Oceanic fall of night
And their siren’s song
Was devoured
By the passing
Of trucks and cars
Of this world
That was mine
And not theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment