Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Gas Station



This gas station 
Has the cheapest gas 
In town.

But there is a prick
There
That I run into
Quite often
And he’s always disciplining me.

He always waits
Until I pay
And THEN reprimands me
Like a child.

He points to the signs on the pumps
Like I’ve EVER gotten out of the car
And taken the time 
To read those.

The first time it was because I left my engine running.
Which is AGAINST THE LAW
Which I knew
But most places
Don’t give a shit.

The next it was because I had my radio playing
With the engine off
Because at this point
I knew that he didn’t like 
The engine on
While he was pumping gas.

It is the cheapest place in town.

Tonight
He just railed me.

Again
While he’s handing me my receipt
That I can’t be using my cell phone
While he’s pumping gas.

My engine and radio were off.

I said
“WHAT?”

He pointed to the sign
On the pump
And to be honest
I don’t even know what it said.

I looked at him
Straight in the eye
And said

“You’re a prick.  I can buy gas a gazillion other places around here.  Why are you busting
  my balls?”

He didn’t know what to say.

I took my receipt
Started up my engine
Turned up the radio real loud
Lit a cigarette
Making sure he could see it
And pulled outta there
Knowing I was never 
Gonna get gas 
Cheaper anywhere else.


2 comments:

  1. Loved hearing you read this last night. Reading it I can still hear your voice. It is a genuine piece. One of those pieces that make a legend of its author.

    Elizabeth
    New Hope Poetry Group, 2nd Wed (Month)
    http://elizabethakinstelling.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw these comments! Thanks for your words. Hope to catch up with you soon!

    ReplyDelete