Saturday, March 1, 2014

So, How Did The Verve And The Beach Boys End Up In My Dream Last Night



I’m not a chronicler
Of dreams.

I actually don’t remember most dreams
Because I’m riddled
With anxiety
And just want to sleep.

I take a lot of herbs to do so.

I can recall 
Dreams of deep importance.

Where I’m flying
Or my life is in jeopardy.

So how is it
That I woke up this morning
Remembering
Two incredibly
Beautiful songs
That were in the soundtrack 
To my dreams last night.

I haven’t listened 
To either of them in years.

But
Somehow
The Verve’s
Most consumate song
‘Already There’
From their first album
Before they became famous
Was really ‘there’.

Ghostly.

Balmy 
Like the wind
On a beach or a desert.

Ethereal.

Bottomless.

Spiraling.

The melodic bassline.

The shimmery
Echoing guitars
Like the Cocteau Twins.

The swirling voice
Ebbing
Between the enchanting
Music.

Followed 
By one of the most alluring
Haunting 
Songs
Of all time.

‘Lonesome Sea’
By the Beach Boys.

I couldn’t have been a better REM DJ.

Brian Wilson’s 
Slow...

Deliberately very slow...

Overly drawn out cadence
Mixed with peaceful background vocals
Catch the waves
Rolling over and over
Ebbing
In the moonlight
Doo Wop style.

You can get lost 
In this song
As short
As it is.

You will want to replay it
Over and over.

Crying softly for yourself
And the music.

Unknown perfection.

Wonton
And lazy.

I woke up.

And I remembered these songs
Specifically.

I don’t remember the context
At all.

But I slept like a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment