Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Nanny’s Organ (Vintage Roxy) (Da Qi)




My grandmother had an electric organ 
In the living room
Of her house
On Wakeman Street
In West Orange, New Jersey.

When I sat on the stool
In front of the instrument
I could look out of the window
And see the giant Weeping Willow tree
That all of her grandchildren
Would monkey-climb on.

The organ itself
Was probably quite
The domestic purchase
At the time
Along with the giant 
Piece of furniture
That was the television.

Perhaps it was a Christmas gift
Some year.

I don’t know.

But
Looking back
I might have to say
It was rather cheap looking.

It was a Roxy.

I’d wager 
That the organ’s cabinet
Was not real wood.

It was mounted
On legs
Of hollow brass tubes
That tapered
To disc feet
With plastic bottoms

Common 
In the late sixties/early seventies.

The single speaker
Also with brass mountings
Was covered in a gold and white
Plastic mesh
Housed in the front-left face
Of the keyboard cabinet.

I don’t recall my Nanny
Ever playing it.

Instead
It became a hiding place
For jelly beans
At Easter...

I can remember
Flicking the switch 
Myself
To turn it on
And watching the red light glow
As an electric hum
Came on
Over the speaker
As the tubes warmed up.

There was a group of buttons 
On the left side
Which were the Major
Minor
And Seventh keys
With about forty keys to the right.

I was a magician
As I sat there 
In the silent moments
Before I started 

Preparing 
For the elaborate tome
That I was about to lay down.

As my fingers
Pressed buttons and keys
I could feel
The electricity tack
Up my arms
Coursing to interstellar
Creative chakras.

Da Qi.

In acuppuncture
It’s called the 
Good Energy.

It’s real electrical currents
Felt when needles
Are placed
In specific critical points
During a session.

This was before 
I had anything 
Like acuppuncture
To compare it to.

And I weaved
And pressed
With urgency.

I lilted
Lifting fingers lightly.

I pressed my whole body
Into the keyboard
And buttons.

A mad scientist.

Creating music
For the end of the world.

I’m sure that it was horrifying
To anyone that heard it.

But in my head
I was a musical genius
Light years
Ahead of his time.

A prodigy.

An idiot savant.

Well before acuppuncture.

Well before 
I would ever hear those words
Or be intelligent
Enough
To understand their meaning.

So
I played on
Riddled with electricity.

Da Qi.

No comments:

Post a Comment