Thursday, May 17, 2012

Snapper



I saw him on the opposite side of the road.

He was a big shadow
In the light of the pavement
And as I got closer 
I could see that he was moving.

There was a bend just ahead
And I knew he didn’t stand a chance.

I spontaneously pulled over
While the driver behind me
Laid on the horn
Driving past.

There were no other cars.

I quickly found a stick
And moved towards him.

It was spring
And the only turtle crossing a road
Would be a male
Looking for a female.

It wouldn’t be for food
As there was plenty of that
In the stream and pond
Behind him
So I decided it would be better
To get him across
Than usher him back
As he would just be doing
The same thing all over again.

He didn’t like me at all
And he let me know it.

He arched his neck
Opening his vice jaws wide
And hissed sharply.

He was a big boy.

I played the stick in front of him
Tapping it on the ground
Then quickly moved it towards his head.

He took the bait.

He snapped at it
And got his teeth in real good.

I let him honker down
And picked him up
So frikken fast
Running him across the road
Before his claws could
Tear into my hands.

He was a BIG boy.

Just before he could comprehend
What was going on
And his talons 
Gained on my flesh
I dropped him into the grassy
Embankment
In front of my car
Parked on the other side 
Of the road
Where a female
Was waiting
Somewhere
Spared the sound
Of braking tires
And the cracking
Of an arriving lover’s shell
Ending his one great journey.

She would not experience
That kind of emptiness
As I watched him
Wood still in mouth
Move aggressively
As a turtle could
Into the protective underbrush
Of the paradise
That he so desperately sought
A mere 
Forty feet journey away.

We males
Will go to any lengths.

Even twenty feet
Of of well travelled unprotected pavement
To get what we want.

It’s dumb.

I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment