Thursday, April 22, 2010

Clover






I hold your small hand

And my whole life changes.


I find myself filled with warmth and smiles.


You impress me with your physical feats

Like an acrobat, a gymnast, a ballerina...

Or the nine year old princess

Who was an extraordinary contortionist

In the small circus that we saw

In the woods.


You are a marvel

With each rung that you grab for

On the monkey bars.


The “Ooooohhhsss” and “Aaaaaahhhhhhs”

Just come out of me

I have no control.


Your sweet sticky hand in mine

Makes my life so much better.

Your fingers could be covered in ketchup

Juice, lollipop glaze, boogers...

It doesn’t matter to me

When I feel your small palm in mine.


Your hand will grow

And learn to write words

Throw a softball...

Maybe it will play an instrument

Or plant a garden

Like your mothers.


One thing is definite...

I will always cherish it in mine

No matter what changes come...

Painted fingernails

A ring

A little scar...

I know that it will always feel just right

Your fingers entwined in mine

Safe and secure

Bonded with warm sticky maple syrup

And love.

No comments:

Post a Comment