Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Little Bit Deeper Still





Lover.

Tonight
Over pasta
And pizza
Fried calamari
Salad and canollis
A bottle of wine
Sprite and a coke

We just went
A little bit deeper.

Amidst
Waspy early retirement yahoos
Playing their
Trivia game
Loudly

I bonded with you ever more so.

Even if we were just friends
I would’ve had dinner
With you and my children
And the evening
Would probably have been
Much the same.

Enjoyable and entertaining.

But because I dig you
And I am into you
Much more than just a friend

Plus the fact
That you were so comfortable
With getting your
‘Toilet Humor’
On

We were four approachable people
Sitting at a table
Sharing good food
Bad manners
Laughs
And conversation.

I felt a bit closer to you
As I told my children
To stop teasing each other
And eat their dinners.

Showing off my exemplary
Parenting skills
I reminded them
That they were in a restaurant.

And then
Oh my God!

You shouted
‘Hannibal Lecter’
In answer
To the dorky serious guy
Running the trivia contest
Tonight.

We weren’t even signed up to play.

His face showed it all...
Shock
Dismay
Disgust.

He actually looked like he was
Ready to cry
When he realized
That this one question that might’ve
Stumped everyone
Was of no use to him anymore.

And yes
Like a brother and sister
Teasing each other
At a table in a nice restaurant

You broke the rules.

That is when I felt you
Even deeper still.

No comments:

Post a Comment