Thursday, April 22, 2010

The ‘L’ Word






Oooohhhhh shhiiiiittt!


I came this close

To dropping

The ‘L’ word today.


It was when I was

Getting off of the phone

With you.


I was hastily saying goodbye

And it started

Coming out so naturally.


“Bye baybee”

“Luv ya”


But I caught it

And reeled it back in

Right away

Like when we used to suck

Back up our own

Dangling spit

When we were kids.


“Sluuuuuurrrrrppppp!”


“Bye baybee”

“Lu.....Sluuurrrrpppp”

“Mumble, mumble, mumble”

“Talk to ya later”


Click.


I was like...


“Shit! What did I just do!”


“I hope she didn’t catch that”


“She had to have...it was SO obvious!”


And then I started laughing.


I started laughing at the ridiculousness of it all.


I figured you were probably laughing too.

It really was the first time

Those words almost came out of my mouth.


It’s not like I haven’t made an ass

Out of myself

In front of you before.


I wouldn’t be able to tell you

Why that word

Is so threatening to me now.


Maybe it’s because I like what we have together

And I don’t want to jinx it...

Superstitious me.


I tell you that I LOVE your crayzee hair.


I tell you that I LOVE the way you taste.


I tell you that I LOVE the way that you make me laugh.


I LOVE sleeping with you

And I LOVE hearing your voice over the phone.


“L”, “L”, “L”, “L”, “L”!


I have always been a believer

That people could fall in love

For a night

A few days

Weeks

Years.


Why would it be any different now.


Why is the ‘L’ word

Such a sudden obstacle to me?


Shit!


I came that close to

Dropping the ‘L’ word on you.


I sit giggling to myself

Feeling warm inside.


I know you well enough

To know that you would appreciate all of this

So I don’t feel vulnerable.


I almost dropped the ‘L’ word on ya hun...


It’s a fine line

Between letting that spit

Break and drop

To the ground

And

Slurping it back

Up

Into my juvenile mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment